What is a Pitch Deck?
If you’re going to pitch to an investor to raise funding then you are going oakley sunglasses sale to need a pitch deck. Cheap nfl jerseys The pitch deck will form the focus of your pitch so if the pitch is going to to be successful i.e. help you raise the money you need then the deck will be core to tat process. The pitch deck will be used either during the face to face presentations, online meetings with potential investors, customers, partners, and co-founders. or even during the process of emailing investors to get their interest.
When Do I Need a Pitch Deck
At some point, every entrepreneur can benefit from having a pitch deck:
- The pitch deck will help you to both summarise and present your business plan and the opportunity that you offer to your investors. Consider it a shorter, more visual and more engaging version of the business plan. The photo and video version of your holiday story if you like.
- If you are trying to persuade people to “buy in” to your story and become supporters – say, beta customers, potential strategic partners, advisors, co-founders, or employees – a pitch deck is often the best medium for expressing your story.
- If you are approaching sophisticated investors – say, an angel group or a venture capital fund – you will almost certainly need a pitch deck. In fact, some investors will ask that you email them your pitch deck rather than an executive summary or full business plan (although you will eventually need a full business plan when the investors begin their due diligence). If the investor oakley outlet invites you to their office for a meeting, your deck will provide structure to your meeting (although by the time you get to Slide 3, if the investor is actually interested, she will start asking questions that force you to jump ahead to Slide 8, and then back to Slide 5).
- Wherever you are, there are likely to be a host of opportunities to engage with investors. Thee would be through online networks, local events hosted by business or angel groups, local universities and the like. If you’re Basic in London ten you’ll know the there are opportunities everywhere to get your business infant of investors. You need to be ready when the opportunity occurs.
What Makes a Great Pitch Deck?
A pitch deck is great only if it helps you achieve your goals with your target audience. So you need to tweak the following factors to ensure that your deck has maximum impact for your specific situation:
- Length: There are many experts who will tell you your pitch deck must have exactly 5 slides, or exactly 8 slides, or exactly 10 slides. There are no strict rules about how long your presentation should be, as long as you can deliver it comfortably, without rushing, in the allotted time. This usually means no more than one slide per minute. So if you have 15 minutes to fill and want to reserve the last 3 minutes for Q&A, then 10-12 slides should do it.
- Content: Think from your audience’s perspective. What questions do they need you to answer in order for them to take the desired action (note: if you are presenting to a group, the desired action isn’t to get them to write a check on the spot – that’s never going to happen – it’s to get them to exchange business cards with you so that you can follow up later). If you are presenting to investors, you should focus on answering the key investor questions.
- Focus: Limit each slide to expressing one idea. You want to keep your entire audience on the same page.
- Aesthetics: Don’t worry too much about aesthetics until you’ve conquered the structure and flow Streaming of the pitch deck first. Then, don’t go wild with artistic flourish: you want your audience to focus on you, not on your slides. Pick a stock template you can live with and that looks good on the computer screen, in hard copy, as a PDF, and when projected on a screen. Customize the colour scheme to match your corporate branding. Replace as many words as possible with graphics (photos, illustrations, diagrams, tables, and charts). If you are presenting to a large audience, make sure the fonts are large enough for the people in the back row with bad eyesight to read. Even if you are creating a stand-alone deck that will be read (instead of being presented in person), strive to cut as cheap nfl jerseys wholesale many words as possible. Eliminate every element that doesn’t serve a purpose. Avoid sound effects, unnecessary animation, and embedded multimedia. In other words, keep it simple, clean, and uncluttered.
- Delivery: Your pitch deck is a tool and not the entire solution. The deck is useless without your execution. your own presentation, confidence and ability to convince will be as key to the presentation as the deck that you use. You should practice your pitch until you get it perfect – first in front of a mirror, then with people (friends, family, strangers off the street – anybody willing to listen and give you feedback). You should also practice with a video camera rolling. No matter how many times people tell you to fix something, you probably won’t until you see the flaw for yourself.
How Do I Create a Pitch Deck?
If you don’t cheap football jerseys have the time or the skills to put together a pitch deck, or if you think you would benefit from some outside perspective, Cayenne Consulting can help. In general, we custom jerseys follow a two-step process:
- The first step is to create a “generic” pitch deck that answers the Key investor questions We typically begin by creating one slide for each question. The title of each slide is the question (e.g., “What Problem Do We Solve?”); the body of the slide answers the question. We sometimes need more than one slide to answer some of the questions; that’s fine since we’re mostly brainstorming at this stage. The key is to get your (and our) ideas down where we can all see them. Now we print it out and arrange the slides across the floor. We rearrange things until we have a compelling storyline. Then we remove anything that doesn’t directly relate to your storyline. Finally, we start working on the Aesthetics part mentioned above.
- The second step is to tailor your pitch deck for a specific meeting. If your “generic” pitch is 15 slides long and you’re preparing for a 20-30 minute face-to-face meeting with a Cheap Jerseys potential investor, we might not need to make very many changes. On the other hand if you’re presenting to a possible strategic partner, we probably want to replace your company-wide financial forecast with an analysis of how your proposed alliance benefits your potential partner. If you’re cheap ray ban sungalsses preparing for a 3-minute lightning pitch, you’ll probably need to create a 3-slide deck that builds on the 2-3 most important graphics in your generic pitch.
We would be happy to discuss your situation and needs. If you are interested in learning more, please complete the form on the right.